Monday, July 27, 2009

What I Did over my Summer Staycation: A Story about 7 Eco-Experiments


I’m totally into the “green” trend that’s been going on, but I want to do more than wear t-shirts with recycling signs on them, so this summer I experimented with 7 eco-ideas that were easy and cheap to try.  Here’s my countdown of the sweetest greens of the season:  

            7.  Goodwill:  Let’s face it, Goodwill is not the store to buy favorite jeans or a pair of running shoes.  Some of the stuff you and I need just has to be brand new.  Other stuff doesn’t.  Goodwill is my one-stop shopping for t-shirts that are ironically outdated, Halloween costumes, and sweet 80s-themed accessories.  For those of us who appreciate vintage, Goodwill is an oasis of overalls in a desert of maxi-length dresses and gladiator sandals.  This summer, I bought a practical and cute sweater at Goodwill for $5 and some dishware for my new apartment that only knocked me back $12.  Brand new, the combined cost for my two purchases would have probably been around $50.  Donating to Goodwill or shopping there is a rewarding way to recycle, reduce, and reuse, since it helps keep clothes and household goods out of landfills and in the homes of people who need them. 

            6.  Organic Make-Up:  I’ve been suspicious of all-natural beauty products ever since I bought an organic face wash at Trader Joes that made my eyes burn and smelled like swamp water.  Naturally, this made it difficult for me to part with $10 to buy myself some organic tinted moisturizer at Rite Aid last month, but it was a purchase that I didn’t regret.  My new, Organic Wear make-up doesn’t stink and works just as well as other brands that have an ingredient list with a word count that gives the 7th Harry Potter a run for its money.  Sometimes my moisturizer does get liquidy and I have to shake it before using, but I would not say that this minor inconvenience makes me less than a completely satisfied customer.     

            5.  Recycled Toilet Paper:  This stuff is certainly not a luxury brand, but it gets the job done at an affordable price.  Recycled paper is definitely worth the trees it saves, but like any product that claims to be “recycled,” “organic,” or “all natural” be sure to check the packaging (or online) to see how eco-friendly its claims really are.  

            4.  Cloth Napkins:  Cloth napkins are the most colorful way to reduce and reuse this summer.  Shop around for some inexpensive ones that match (or clash trendily) with your dining décor.  They last for years, take up barely any room in the washing machine, and will make your friends jealous.  Who doesn’t want to dine in style? 

            3.  Homemade Bread and Other Delicacies:  I didn’t bake it myself, but I got the most delicious bread at my local farmer’s market last week.  Not only did the bread travel less than 20 miles from oven to mouth, but it also allowed me to support the friendly, local woman who sold it to me with my $4 purchase from her small business.  Our market also had strawberries, radishes, lettuce, organic meat, and a tempting variety of desserts available, so I’m planning to treat myself to a trip to the Augusta farmer’s market every weekend this summer. 

            2.  Best Product of the Summer:  When I bought Yes to Carrots face wash a few days ago, I instantly became addicted.  It made my skin smoother and softer than any other cleanser I have ever used.  Now I can’t wait to get out to Target, Rite Aid, or Walgreens to try some more Yes to Carrots products like their lotion, lip balm, and shampoo.  The packaging for these treasures is recyclable and the products contain at least 95% organic ingredients.  Yes to Carrots is also not tested on animals, so you can indulge in these vitamin-laden beauty necessities without guilt for about 10 to 15 dollars.

            1.  Food Inc.: A $6.50 movie pass changed the way I eat when I went to see Food Inc. last night.  This is the best horror film/food documentary since Supersize Me came out in 2004.  Food Inc. gives a thorough explanation of exactly what we are buying at grocery stores and in restaurants and why our current farming techniques need to change.  For example, I learned that since Mickey D’s is the #1 buyer of beef in the U.S., it is up to them (not the farmers) to decide how beef is produced and -- trust me -- it’s not a pretty story.  Go to http://www.foodincmovie.com/ to see the trailer and learn more.   

            If you feel inspired to try out some other green products please comment about them, so that I can decide that I need them.  For me, supporting the planet is a worthy excuse to indulge, so I’ll keep you posted about more eco-goodies as I discover them.         

              

2 comments:

Jeremiah E. Nazarkewycz said...

Rachel, I love how you are one of my few friends who cares about the enviroment. Granted I am not the best at what I buy, but I do try hard. It is difficult when the people around you don't care.

Allyson said...

Well you know how I'm not always very active or interested in things that are environmentally friendly, but this was a pretty cool entry. I looked up the Yes to Carrots thing and am extremely interested. I like that they don't test on animals, it's semi-hard to find cosmetic companies that don't.
This site is great btw. I'm very impressed with you.