Thursday, July 23, 2009

Random Acts of Fabric (and Another So-Sew Pun)


     

            Most people probably don’t have this problem, but I’ve got this near-lethal issue that I love to sew stuff for myself and I hate to get rid of leftover fabric. Near-lethal, of course, for my storage space.  I’ve got a bottomless drawer in my bedroom that contains scraps of prom dress, throw pillow, and a wolf costume fabric.  Sew these scraps together and what do you get?  A hippie bag -- my solution to an overabundance of blue mermaid material from the 1st grade (and other embarrassingly long relationships I have had with half-yards of cloth).  Hippie purses (or hobo bags) are stylish AND practical AND quite roomy inside, which is extremely useful for people who have trouble letting go of things.  I am posting the directions on how to make one in case there is anyone out there in the world with the same problem as me.  These directions are not precise.  I recommend reading over them once and then making up the rest as you go.     


1.  Cut your fabric as shown above.  You will need two circles for the bottom and 4 panels for the sides (liner included).  You will also need fabric or wide ribbon for the handle.  To give you an idea of the size, my circles had about a 9-inch diameter.       

2.  Sew the bottom of two panels (the part opposite the notches) to the edge of one circle so that the entire circumference of the circle has been stitched.  Now sew the panels to each other, to make the sides of the purse. 

3.  Repeat step 2 with the other pieces you have cut out to make a liner. 

4.  Now would be a good time to sew a button or other clasp on the front, if desired.

5.  Turn both parts of the purse inside out and stitch the tops together, except for the notches.  Those should be left as holes on each side so that a piece of long fabric or ribbon can be inserted to make a handle.

6.  Make a handle and put it on.  You figure out the details on this one.  My handles tend to be an improvisation with whatever scraps I have left.   

 

            This project works best if you do NOT use pins, measuring materials, or directions.  Work with the shapes of fabric that you have and don’t be too careful -- these bags hide flaws.  If the bag comes out good, take it to the beach or out on the town and impress your friends with your sewing skills.  If it comes out bad, throw it away -- at least you’ve used up some fabric! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! I never use pins! Or measure! Or directions. Nice job!

Allyson said...

Thanks Ray!
But I do have one suggestion, more pictures!

Professor Neweyes said...

did you get the wolf suit from Jin?

Rachel Salois said...

I don't know what Jin is... I made it in 7th grade when I was going through the film directing stage of my life. I made the kids in my class dress up and act in my movies. The shows are thoroughly embarrassing to watch now and I'm sure all of my classmates curse my name whenever someone mentions "The Wizard of Oz" or "Little Red Riding Boots."

Rachel Salois said...

Allysonlockeness - I'll be sure to post more photos, too! I was feeling a bit lazy with my instructions for the purse, but in the future I'll be more dutiful with pictures to help you along.