Friday, December 18, 2009

Store Bought: Part 8

No matter what my age, I will defend Barbies against any feminist with good, (but ill-directed) intentions to eliminate the plastic – and yes, generously proportioned – women whom I have loved since my childhood.

People say that Mattel is demeaning women by selling chesty dolls in skimpy suits. The truth is that Barbie-haters are not taking the time to get to know the young women who they are ruthlessly tearing down. The Barbies I grew up with were much more than long legs and a head full of air. My Barbies were scuba divers. They camped out in pillow caves on my couch. They opened their own shoe shops, complete with Lego display cases. They willingly wore the outfits that I made out of tissues and tape without a flinch in their uni-tooth smiles.

I say, if a girl can go camping in stilettos and her salsa dancing dress, more power to her!

No comments: